Friday, 13 January 2017

Keeping Accounts and Suddenly Worrying

Do you keep account of what you spend?
If you are self employed with a business it's something you have to do and if you want to be frugal and look at where you can save then  it really helps.

I can look back at our January spending for several years (well I would be able to if all my old diaries weren't still in a box in the shed! so actually I can only look back at 2015 and 2016)  so I knew that we needed to book the Tucson in for its MOT (done and it passed- good) before the end of the month, and it's tax will be due too. I can see that I bought shoes last January but they are still going strong and we bought a sack of bird peanuts but won't need them this year as we hardly see a bird at all in town - except seagulls. I know from looking back that January is always a good month for spending less on food and it will be even better this month as we eat up all the stuff in the freezer before moving.

And Moving is the real crux of the matter. At the top of my blog it says we are living carefully on savings until pension time. When I wrote that at the top of the blog about a year ago, I didn't know that we were suddenly going to decide to move to a house that was going to take all our savings and the money left from selling the smallholding, leaving us with a two month gap until Colin's pension payout plus a bungalow that won't sell. Not the most sensible thing we've ever done in our lives. If I've done the sums right we'll be OK. If my sums are wrong..........Oh Dear.

Just in case, it's another don't-spend-anything-extra time. I don't need clothes or nick-nacks (never need nick-nacks) or books........definitely not books.Despite it costing a bit more overall I'll just tax the car for 6 months, by the end of July when it's due again we'll have enough money to do a year or we might have to sell it anyway. I've been dithering over buying another floor lamp or tall table lamp but that will wait too.
I've suddenly got very concerned about how much we have to sort out and pay for when we move. Apart from needing to buy and install an LPG cooker, the lady has BT fibre connection - don't know anything about that, or how/if we use the  Wifi box. There is no TV aerial, only a satellite dish so we don't know if the Sky box connection we had at the smallholding will work easily or not........  we seem to be moving without giving a thought about practicalities! I think it's official.............we're mad! (But we have got 3 baby trees here to plant out when we get there - not sure we have our priorities right are you?)

Must say welcome to three more followers. Hello, Hello and Hello!

 11am Friday 13th and we have snow! Big flakes too, but not laying much. But I'm now laid up with what Col had 2 weeks ago. How did that happen? Just very concerned that we went to see our youngest and little Florence yesterday, hope to goodness I didn't pass it on before knowing I had it.

Back Soon
Sue


24 comments:

  1. Sometimes in your life you have to do something that is mad. It will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you have the bug, keep up the fluids. The other stuff will be fine, have faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. take care of yourself, don't run yourself into the ground. I am guessing you will be fine, you've already acknowledged what you have to do and have started doing it - way to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stay warm, drink plenty and relax, dont get yourself stressed out over the financial side of moving, these things have a habit of working themselves out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post resonated with me very much indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are such a resourceful lady Sue that I know everything will be OK and you will be fine.
    I am so sorry you picked up the bug. Take good care of yourself-x-

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cycled to work in a nasty sort of stinging blizzard this morning, my face was really sore, and my hands were agony.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Finances are no fun. I'm holding tight with money since we need work done this spring on our house. At least there's money coming in. Moving isn't cheap but it's doable. Hoping all goes well and feel better soon. Cherrio!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Money worries love fatigue and illness so close your eyes, empty your brain and have a good sleep. You are resourceful and will be able to manage this transition. Can you rent out your current house if it doesn't sell?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry you're not feeling too good. I don't usually keep track of what I spend but I've just done a mid-month tot up and it'll be on the blog on Sunday. Keeping track of money was something I put on my 2017 list so thought I'd better make the effort. All I can say is it doesn't go very far although there's lots of things I could cut down on if I really had to. Hope you're feeling better soon and that little Florence doesn't catch what you've got. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fingers crossed all will go well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Snow! Mum said they were talking about it when I phoned her on Wednesday. She won't like it, will probably stay indoors. It's the end of the week so she doesn't 'have' to go anywhere.

    I must admit I'm not good at keeping track of what we spend on what. I really need to do better. I am sort of keeping track of food spending, but still need to cut down!

    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is Friday 13th Sue so that isn't helping. Health worries about Col, money worries (which I am sure wll sort themselves out), do hope after the weekend and once your 'bug' has gone you will feel in a better frame of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Did you know that you can now pay monthly for car tax, via direct debit, for just a small amount more (cheaper than 6monthly rate)? Thought it might help!

    - Kate

    ReplyDelete
  15. Trees?
    Absolutely, you have your priorities right!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think you will be so much happier in the new place that all the negatives you see now will fade! Perhaps you can rent out the bungalow for a bit to help the cash flow?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope you feel better soon, Sue. Nothing ever looks completely rosy when you feel sick. I am keeping a close eye on our budget, a skill I'm working on, using an online budgeting tool. I find that easy because I can update actual expenditure under the sub-headings I've set up. Tracking spending! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Feel better soon. I do think you will be happier with a bit of ground, and your bungalow will sell or perhaps you can rent it out.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope your move goes well. Have you thought about renting out your bungalow? It would add to your cash flow and at the same time have an asset that appreciates. My best to you, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think that worries do come and go. Hope you figure it out and can put your mind at ease, I think that we all go through these times. I don't think the BT fibre is any different than normal phone/internet, just faster! I am sure they can tell you if you call them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Don't worry about the fibre broadband, it will work with what you have but you might decide that it is too expensive and go with something else. The satellite dish is just like having an aerial and will be compatible with what you have so I hope that that is 2 worries out of the way ! Love your blog and I know from reading it how great with money you are !

    ReplyDelete
  22. Big changes are always challenging, but you've shown remarkable strength in the last year! As others have said, it'll work out. And you've got options: rent the bungalow as an income property, sell the caravan, etc. You could even rent the bungalow in the short term while it stays on the market for sale. Crossing fingers and toes for all to go smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Haha ... yes we bought trees even before we bought the house, but they were happy in pots until we moved.

    If you have a Freeview enabled television you can plug it into the satellite dish and gets loads of extra free channels to watch without having to pay any money out to Sky.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sorry to hear you have a horrible bug, I hope you feel better very soon. Lying around feeling poorly means you have more time to worry. I will be interested in seeing your LPG cooker when you get it as we will be replacing our stove at some point in the future.

    ReplyDelete