Thursday, 20 October 2016

Sunday to Thursday

Thank you for so many comments about our move back to the country. We can't wait.
 I've done the maths several times to check we can afford it and yes ...........just. Things will be pretty tight until we sell the bungalow. Unfortunately there are several properties for sale in Ipswich for much the same price at the moment and if it doesn't sell quickly we will be living on Fresh Air until Col can get his County Council pension in March. (Someone asked if we could rent it out instead of selling but I think the rental income would only be about £650 - £700 a month, then agency fees to come off so not really enough to live on).
I'm looking on it as a challenge to live on a very low budget for the rest of the year, although Christmas may have to be postponed until we sell!


 On Sunday we popped over to visit our new granddaughter, 5 days old - still haven't seen her awake.


 Florence refused to breast feed once they got home so A is expressing. She's determined to try and avoid the high cost of formula milk. She was also planning to use the re-usable nappies but Florence is too tiny for them so it was lucky I found a few more newborn disposables  at a car boot sale.

Monday - Our son reached the grand old age of 35 today. Doesn't seem five minutes since he was Florence's size, although come to think of it he was never as small and grew into the 6 foot something he is now by the time he was 15.
We went down to the beach hut as the weather promised a decent day with an offshore wind, but they were wrong and by 2pm it was really chilly and started to rain. It was very quiet down there, only dog walkers and joggers. Col sat behind our windbreak while I kept inside out of the wind. I've now brought home the things that will get damp over winter

 We treated ourselves to a whippy ice cream - with flake of course - the last of the season before the kiosk closes.
 Over the weekend I sorted through more books and delivered another box full to be collected to go off to Ziffit.com - another £24 worth. Most of my books they don't want and some of the ones they will accept are ones I want to keep so I haven't emptied many boxes so far.

Tuesday - More book sorting, it's getting quite addictive. I found £27 worth and boxed up. That's a total of nearly £80 of income which is handy amount. Will I regret selling some of them later - probably but not many and anyway we really need the cash.

I did 10 minutes more garden clearing but my back started complaining so I soon stopped, I'm just so out of condition.

Wednesday -
Made the Baby Jacob page in my new scrapbook. I didn't look on-line to get ideas, nor did I rush out to buy any more bits and pieces, just used what I had, this is how it ended up
After lunch we had to take our ID and filled in forms into town for our solicitor.


 Thursday - I went with Col to hospital for his regular weekly blood test and Great Joy his platelets are starting to climb, from very, very, very,VERY low to just very, very,very low. Perhaps that's the start of an improvement. He also had to have a monthly lung thing where they give him an antibiotic by inhalation. He hopes they'll stop it soon as it gives him terrible indigestion.
The weather was cold and miserable today so I decided it was time to start making soup for daily lunches. First soup of the Autumn was Leek and Potato as leeks are one of the Aldi cheap vegetables at the moment. We have salad and something for lunch through spring and summer so by soup season I've always forgotten how delicious and warming it is.
After lunch off to the Estate Agents to take ID  and to find out one or two more details about the cottage.

I have the dentists tomorrow for a filling ..............

Back Soon
Sue


32 comments:

  1. I love the Baby Jacob page in your scrapbook.

    See you always knew your rather large book collection would come in useful one day ..... it's feeding you :-)

    I'm thinking of seriously downsizing my collection, I've been looking at it through different eyes recently and thinking which ones would I replace if the house caught fire and they were all lost ... it turns out not that many of them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that way of looking at one's possessions.
      Yesterday I was looking at photo albums and wondering why I had so many. I think they need a serious pruning!........perhaps in the dark winter evenings. Sue

      Delete
    2. I've often wondered which of my possessions I would save if I had to grab a bag full quickly, and it would be a few of my books and some photos, my little chest of drawers ( in the header photo) and that's about it.

      Delete
  2. Is there any possibility of doing a short term let while you are waiting to sell the bungalow? It might just tide you over the "hungry gap" until March.
    I'm delighted that finally good things are happening for you both; two beautiful grand children, a new home which sounds far more your style and, most importantly Col's health is on an up turn. You certainly deserve some encouragement.
    I only wish we'd been able to camp on your site and get to meet you both.
    Your blog is such an encouragement to so many people.
    I can see that you'll be doing "a year without" like Sue at "Our new life in the country"
    Will look forward to hearing about your adventures. Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for saying the blog is encouraging. I tend to just tell it like it is, good,bad or ugly!
      A short term let might be a possibility I guess although would anyone want it with it still being for sale. We'll see what happens

      Delete
  3. that's good news about Col's platelets. You have such a lot going on.

    We got soaked on the way home from school. On my way there this p.m I had my sunglasses on as it was sunny, in the black, black, sky I could see a rainbow faintly in front of the darkness. It was only visible when I had the sunglasses on, when I took them off it couldn't be seen. But I knew I was about to walk into the rain. No brolly of course! ;o)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good day for cloud watching, there's been some strange colours. Col said "The North wind doth blow - will we have snow?" I blinkin well hope not!

      Delete
  4. I think we could all trim our spending.Have you read SimplyLiving blog.Lots of suggestions on there for saving money.The precious things in life which cost nothing are each other,children and grandchildren.What more do you need?After all you and Col have gone through you could live on fresh air!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'll go back to my previous title "Frugal in Suffolk". I have 30+ years of living simply as it's only in the last 10 years that we've had a bit of spare cash

      Delete
  5. Good luck with everything, if anyone can ride to the challenge it's you, x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great news about Col. I think you're right to sell and unlock the money. If you rent you'll have to pay the new stamp duty rate for second homes. Jacob's page looks beautiful....lovely memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's the B***** stamp duty wiping us out. We will have to pay the higher amount and then claim it back when we sell the bungalow.

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful little girl. I do hope Florence gets the hang of nursing sooner than later as it will make mum's life easier. When they are that little it is often a good idea to wake them in the daytime every 3 hours so they do not get over hungry and this may allow those few extra seconds for baby to work out how to latch on to the breast. La Leche League offers wonderful support and I believe there is a chapter in Ipswich. Good luck to your daughter.

    Glad to hear that Colin is doing well and you did enjoy your beach hut one more time.

    Good luck on a quick sale of your bungalow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the good wishes for the new family and for Colin

      Delete
  9. Let's hope this is the beginning of the climb back to full health for Col.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really do hope so as the alternatives are worrying

      Delete
  10. It will all come together, and you will soon be settled in the new place. I have been selling books too for a while now. And have not missed them although I thought I would. The baby is lovely, what a precious blessing x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very glad to hear Cols's platelets are on the up, fingers crossed they continue in the right direction. The grandchildren are gorgeous and the baby page is lovely.

    I've read about your move and hope it all goes to plan. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Plenty of news and pretty much good too, which is great. You'll miss your beach hut!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 415 followers you and sue soooo shameful lol xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good news about Col! Glad they are coming up. Your scrapbook page looks wonderful. He is soooo cute! Glad you could fit in one more ice cream before the weather gets too chilly!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your granddaughter is cute and soon she will open her eyes and hopefully she'll breast feed soon. Glad you are able to sell some books to help out your income. I went through my drawers and closet last weekend and took clothes to our ladies' first swap at church on Sunday evening. There were lots of clothes and you could take what you wanted for free. Leftovers were taken to a charity in town. I brought 2 shirts home with me. I have enough now. I'm working on downsizing all the time and decluttering! Love the beach houses on the North Sea in Felixstowe. Happy night!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous baby photo.
    Just a thought, but have you tried checking whether the council pension can be paid early on grounds of ill health? Some schemes do this I think.
    Best of luck with all your plans.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your scrapbook is so lovely and I'm sure everything will work out OK with your house sale X we can all send you a casserole through the post. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an idea - sausage hot-pot please!

      Delete
  18. Precious little girl. She is gorgeous.
    Can't believe my precious little girl was that tiny. She is seven months old already-x-

    ReplyDelete
  19. Playing catch up, WOW you just moved there BUT...
    I love the new home and so easier for you to enjoy.
    I am sending good wishes for all your plans and a quick sale and easy move.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  20. Florence is gorgeous, enjoy your time.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete