Friday, 14 October 2016

Smaller Happenings

There has been one BIG happening this week - A brand new granddaughter  of course

But there have been small happenings  too....................

 I spotted a Redwing in the garden, had to look in the bird book to check as we never saw them out in the country. Then we saw a skein of geese in a V shape flying over one evening, it's good to catch glimpses of nature in the middle of a housing estate.

The 2 x £5 Amazon vouchers - because of filling in an Ipsos Mori Poll - arrived via email and have been used to buy Col some thick long socks.

I've successfully kitted myself out to be Mother of The Groom in December for less than £70. The navy  dress new from Yours £45, cream jacket looking like new from eBay £7 inc. postage, hat £5 charity shop and a navy clutch bag eBay will be less than £5. I wonder if there is an average spend for mother of the groom and does it make me look mean? I would have spent less if I could!

 Asda had lots of clothes on a sale rail and I found 2 tunic tops reduced to £5 each, that's no more than some charity shops charge and I've been searching all summer without luck.

Had a lovely long letter from one of our Penny Pincher letter group and then a late letter from the person who should have written in September. Plenty to read.

The How To Be A Tudor book by Ruth Goodman has gone back to the library unfinished as has The Past is Myself by Christabel Beilenberg.Not because they're unreadable but because more interesting books have turned up to be read first. New to my pile are Anne Perry - Murder on the Serpentine; Alys Clare - A Rustle of Silk which is the first in a new series of historical crime by a favourite author and another of the British Library Crime Classic reprints - The Methods of Sergeant Cluff by Gil North.
 Perhaps I ought to stop requesting library books for a while.

We've waited all week to hear when my late uncle's funeral will be, but it must be next week. Then we heard that our very elderly friend the ex-game keeper from Knodishall had died. So two funerals coming up.

That's about it, a quiet week apart from the arrival of Florence who finally got the hang of breast feeding and was allowed home on Thursday afternoon. we hope to pop over for another quick cuddle at the weekend.

Just to tease you, there might be some unexpected but interesting house move news next week.......................

Back Soon
Sue




17 comments:

  1. Congratulations to you and your family on your beautiful granddaughter.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, can't wait for more cuddles

      Delete
  2. Next time I want a posh outfit I shall call on your services.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May luck continue to be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The saying goes " Mothers of the groom, wear beige and fade into the background". I faded into the background...not feeling well that day, but I wore blue. As for price the brides side dictated what we were to wear. Long formal. I am not formal in a way shape or fashion. I wanted just a simple cheap dress or suit. Caved in though. You will do well in your new to you gear. Cheers to you both. Hope Col feels/gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your MOG outfit sounds lovely! I bought one at a store when my son was getting married and it didn't cost alot. I think maybe I got it before they were engaged. They were married in our home and later we had a reception. Long story but it all worked out good. They've been married 10 yrs in Dec! Glad your new granddaughter is doing well. Now I'm off to put my boot slippers back on and heat water for another cup of tea! Take care and hopefully Colin will get better each day! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your new granddaughter, what a lovely name too :-)

    House news .... you are a tease!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both of our girls have picked lovely names for their offspring I think.
      As for the house tease ..............

      Delete
  7. I love Ruth Goodman - never read any of her books but love her TV series which are all on youtube now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is slightly odd but always enthusiastic

      Delete
  8. Hi Sue! I'm Jim and it is good to meet you.
    Our mutual friend, John, told me/us to get on over here. I always do what I am told!! lol

    Congrats on the birth of your grand daughter and sorry for your loss too of an uncle. The cycle of life continues I see in Suffolk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jim 'fraid this blog has none of the excitement of John's. But thank you for popping by and following ( though you don't have to read if it's too boring!!)

      Delete
  9. A Redwing I shall have to look that one up, birds here in the city are sparse, but I will keep feeding them hoping I will get more visitors. Well done on your free vouchers, I get paid with Amazon vouchers for some of my surveys, it is nice to buy a few extras. We have an Asda a few minutes walk from us and I have picked up some outstanding clothing bargains, some even down to £1.00.
    Looking forward to hearing about the Teaser you have left us with.
    Hope you and Col are well ( as well as you can be) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you've managed to kit yourself out for the wedding. I hate being under pressure to clothes shop for events even if I've been given loads of notice.

    Lots of lovely little things you've written about and I'm intrigued about the house move.

    Glad baby Florence is feeding well. Hope they are all well and settling into their routine. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. A house move?
    I do so love to read about house moving.
    I don't think you're mean to kit yourself out for a wedding as cheaply as you can. For me it would be a one day outfit as I don't do posh so a terrible waste of money-x-

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds like you got some very good bargains. When my son got married a few years ago, I was expected to wear a certain kind of outfit and color. I did like it and felt pretty but that dress hangs in my closet only being worn once. The only occasion I will get to wear it again is at my funeral.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ClixSense is the #1 work from home website.

    ReplyDelete