Friday, 28 October 2016

And Another Week Bites The Dust

Before I start I must say hello to lots of new followers, once it was possible to click on names and find if people had a blog or not but that's one of the things Blogger have changed - very annoying, so if you have a blog please leave a comment with the name of the blog.
And must say thank you for all the comments on the last post. It's certainly true about "Bungalow Legs" as after just 7 months here I now find stairs quite hard work. We haven't completely dismissed the hospital gym as it will certainly be a good idea for later although fitness in the past has always been maintained by working - gardening, wood cutting etc. Back at the smallholding I did half a mile of walking round the field everyday just to let the chickens out and collect the eggs!

Anyway, what have we been up to......................................

Monday - Off to hospital with Colin  for his regular blood test and then an appointment with the Doctor. Platelets have gone up again  *Happy Dance* and the doctor said he could drop several of the tablets he's been taking  since he came out of hospital.

Tuesday - a.m. I went to see a physio to get some more exercises to help hips and back. Very nice young fella wiggled my legs about and said my hips were not too bad and my back fairly flexible, then showed me 3 more exercises to try to improve even more.
I reckon the test is - can you put your knickers on while standing up? 

We had a viewing of the bungalow in the afternoon and our For Sale sign has gone up. We told our lovely neighbour Ann that we were moving so it didn't come as a shock to her but I bet it's surprised some of the other neighbours. It takes about 5 minutes to show people round this small bungalow whereas last year it took at least an hour to show folk around the smallholding.
 Then we took library books back and went for a walk in Broomhill Park behind the library ( From the web : Broomhill Park is a semi-natural woodland park between Sherrington Road and Valley Road in Ipswich, Suffolk, England. In older times it was called Broom Hill. The park contains many fine historic oaks and an abundance of Scots Pines).  If it wasn't for the traffic noise it would feel like a wood in the country.

Wednesday - Out to Leiston to visit our beautiful granddaughter, (and our daughter of course!) now two weeks and one day old.

 We got to see her awake this time and while Col went to visit one of old neighbours, me and A took Florence and the dog for a walk around the park. 

 Feedback from yesterdays viewing " it didn't have a wow factor"! Colin asked me what on earth they meant so I said it would mean completely gutting the kitchen and replacing with glossy doored cupboards and granite worktops and ceramic tiled floor. Replacing the new carpets we had laid for warmth with wood flooring and all the light fittings with new ones. My settee covered with a patchwork throw would have to go and the comfy armchair - it's always leather sofas in modern homes.The pine dresser that isn't really a dresser and the pine chest that the TV stands on would also be changed to something modern and metal and as for the little round table by my chair which is really a homemade sewing box table from the 1930s, that definitely wouldn't be seen in a Wow Factor home! All the doors throughout the place would need new ones as they are old hollow sapele ones. The double glazing is out dated and would have to be replaced, then a conservatory added out the back with big bi-fold doors. The garden would be decked and grass banished and as for the old fashioned flower border - that would have to go.I showed him  THIS which has come on the market in Ipswich (but not in such a Good area as ours she says sniffily!)- just the sort of place I would hate! And certainly not what we could afford to do here before selling. So we shall just have to wait and hope.


Thursday morning and back to the cottage to meet the lady selling it and have another look round. We're just hoping she doesn't suddenly change her mind as she doesn't really want to move but has been widowed now for 6 years and is probably in her late 70s and finding the driving to the village and back for everything is starting to be too much. The cottage is exactly what we want and we would happily move in as soon as the solicitors can sort it but the lady has a lot of things to shift so we don't want to rush her and it will be January before she'll be ready so we will have to be patient.
One problem is that there will be no cooker/oven there as the lady is taking hers with her. There is a perfect place to put a range and I would like to go back to LPG (heating is oil boiler - no natural gas)but we may have to manage with microwave and caravan cooker until we can sort something out. Although somewhere stored in one of the trailers is a double burner camping stove.

Thursday afternoon and another bungalow viewing - the third - third time lucky?

Friday 
No, not third time lucky " too small" ( yes we know that!)

And now it's nearly 5pm and we are just back from the other side of Ipswich after attending my uncle's funeral (my mum's eldest sister's husband) he was 94 and my Auntie is still a fairly fit 92. They celebrated their 70th wedding anniversary 2 years ago. That's a long time together. We caught up with two of my cousins "we're running out of Aunts and Uncles" I said "but gaining grandchildren".

We have another viewing tomorrow and there's a Jumble sale round the corner at the Scout Hut. Might pop to a Book sale too and perhaps a car boot - Sound's like the perfect weekend! 

Back after the weekend
Sue

37 comments:

  1. The fact that you are getting viewings is great. It will just right for some one, you'll see and they will snap it up. Don't know if I left my blog details or not but here it is:-
    ilikeknittingand sewing.blogspot.com

    I have two other blogs which can be accessed from that one at the top right.

    Fingers crossed for your viewing tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I boo boo-ed, no space between and and sewing.

    ilikeknittingandsewing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hate the house in your link, if that's WOW factor, then I'm happy not to have it. Everything crossed you get your offer soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a house I would want either, much too minimalist - we go for comfy!

      Delete
  4. That house looked as sterile as lab (and I don't mean a Labrador!) Totally vile. How can people live in such places, even a daily newspaper would look out of place, let alone some biscuit crumbs!
    Do not lose hope. Few places have what is called "the wow factor". I rather liked what a chap said on Escape to the Country yesterday - they had five dogs and two cats and wanted a home with the bow-wow factor!
    If you get the home you are hoping to get, surely it not having a cooker right away is one detail that you can rectify quickly?
    Yes, as Marlene says, it that's the Wow factor, here's another happy not to have it! That kind of 'modern' dates very quickly, too. Soon black granite worktops will be so yesterday, darling!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will take a while to sort the cooker if I have LPG as it will need pipes putting in from cylinders outside and there is a door in the way!
      \we will get the house as we don't have to sell the bungalow to buy the house, but we do need to sell it to have enough money to live on

      Delete
  5. It is so good to hear that Col is beginning to do things again.

    As to the wow factor - I did read somewhere that it is pointless updating things as folk want to put their own stamp on a place. Obviously you can't win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colin is feeling so much better thank goodness.
      This place really does need money spent on it but not by us!

      Delete
  6. You are getting lots of viewings which is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a popular area of Ipswich so we are confidant it should sell fairly quickly

      Delete
  7. Your list of blogs you like to read has also vanished. Fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blog roll seems OK now. Thanks for the crossed fingers

      Delete
  8. I hope that you sell your Ipswich bungalow soon. But what will you do if you sell quickly and the new people want to move in before your new home is ready to move into in January?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very good question! There's always the caravan or maybe the solicitors will go slowly - like they usually do

      Delete
  9. I would NEVER buy that awful house you showed us-it made me shudder. Some sensible young couple with their heads screwed on right will fall in love with your bungalow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think minimalist looks so cold and bleak

      Delete
  10. The house you showed as what your bungalow SHOULD look like is horrendous! Cold, sterile, traveled garden....I despise open plan kitchens...when I have holiday dinners I don't WANT my guests to be looking at the dirty pots.... I guess this means I am getting old, too....
    I want a house with stairs for as long as I can crawl up and down!
    The new place sounds great! Hope the current one sells soon....
    Glad to hear things are improving health wise!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really don't like this pared down look, with shiny kitchen units (shows every mark) and my personal hate of all time is black marble worksurfaces - SO unhygienic. (sorry to anyone who has them, just a personal thing I know) I love pine, patchwork, comfy old armchairs and sofas, and dressers - mainly to house my collection of china and pottery, which is another out-of-fashion fashion!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Work surfaces? Oh, are they the things under all the kids junk, washing up and random stuff that fills my kitchen every time I'm not looking? !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Thank heavens for you Jess a light-hearted comment at last - everyone takes me much too seriously!

      Delete
  13. When we bought this house we saw the potential. Wish you the best of luck on finding someone who can do the same with your bungalow.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Here in the USA houses are flipped on a regular basis. In other words bought for a low price and then everything "updated" to a look similar to the house that you gave the link for. When my husband and I bought about 4 years ago this was what we saw were flipped houses. We loved our house because it was in an unimproved state and we could do what we wanted to it to suit our own taste. We both hate latest trends.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I used to stage homes for sale. This one is so cold, no charm and white tile ? oh no !
    Some people would love that home, move in ready but really who doesn't want to fix up some and make a house their HOME ?

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wouldn't worry about wow factor! Our next door
    neighbours spent years turning their house into
    the perfect white minimalist showpiece and then spent
    a fortune staging it for sale. New owners have
    come in, gutted it and are completely renovating
    it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a full week! I was at physical therapy today for my leg/back pain and it's gonna be ok with some exercises too! Hope someone will see something good of your house and not expect you to change it for them before they buy it. That's crazy! They can change it themselves, right? I clicked on the link for house that's for sale....not for me either. Way too white and bedrooms look small. That's alot of money for that space! Your little granddaughter is cute. We see ours tomorrow! Happy weekend and glad things are looking up for you and Colin!
    grandmabeckyl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. The house opposite me sold recently, the pictures of the interior looked really nice. However, judging by the level of activity going on it probably wasn't to their liking. The whole of my house needs updating but I won't be doing it if I sell it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You've had quite a week. Hope the lady selling doesn't change her mind.

    Our home wouldn't have the wow factor to anyone but us! When we moved in people were shocked that we chose to put up a wall between dining room and living room, it was all open but I wanted separate rooms. Which I know is considered old fashioned nowadays, but I love it. Even more confusing to people because it was new build, but I've always done my own thing!
    The right buyer will come along. At least you aren't in a crazy rush and can still buy your home regardless :O) xx

    p.s I love Broomhill park. Especially when it snows!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Because I'm a nosey biddy (!), I've had a peep at your bungalow on t'interweb!
    It's unfortunate that we don't want to move south, because I think it's lovely. Admittedly the kitchen is a bit small, and there are a few changes I'd make, but there's nothing that would stop me buying it.
    Your living room is lovely, I'd feel very comfy in there, shoes off, snuggled on the settee, reading or watching TV. Your 'not' dresser is gorgeous, and gives much needed storage without taking over the room. It's a lot more generous than many new build properties! I'd probably want to put a conservatory on the back of the living room, but again, it wouldn't be a deal breaker.
    The double sized shower is great, and personally I like the loo being seperate, but I'm sure it could easily be knocked through if a buyer wanted to do that!
    The garden is a good size for most people, big enough to enjoy, but small enough to manage.
    I don't understand people who want the 'wow' factor, I prefer a home with a soul, and one person's idea of 'wow' is never going to be the same as anyone else's!
    I can see why it's far too small for you and Col, but for many people, us included, it looks great!
    When we no longer have my father in law, we're intending to move into his bungalow, it's very slightly bigger than yours, but most of the garden is at the front. We're lucky that we only have one child, who lives very, very close to us (so does FiL), so we wouldn't need spare rooms ror visiting relatives.
    I'm sure that there are many people for whom your bungalow is perfect, and hopefully they'll see it soon! It's also very well priced, a similar property in our bit of Cheshire would be about 30% more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done for finding it on the web, must have taken a bit of detective work!
      It's been perfect for us while Colin has been in hospital and because he spent more time in than out he hadn't realised just how small it was. I can plug the hoover in the hall and do the whole house!

      Delete
    2. Finding it was really easy to be honest, I've seen a few pics you've posted, I know you have the caravan, so........

      Delete
  21. Don't people study the room sizes and photos on the selling page. Too small, no wow factor, crazy they should have gleamed that from literature. At least the market is buoyant it won't be long before you sell. Granddaughter looking so cuddly cute.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You do wonder about some house buyers don't you! I can't imagine what we are going to have to contend with when we get Man's house on the market. Glad you had good news about Col!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Excellent news about Col's blood and Florence is adorable.

    You've done well to have 3 viewings in such a short space of time. I think because young couples struggle to even get on the property ladder these days that there's no money left to spend on doing houses up which is why they probably want it already done which is understandable.

    But I don't get people who can't see past the furniture and soft furnishings. None of it will be staying so just concentrate on the bricks and mortar. Even WOW factors are down to personal taste. I wouldn't like an open kitchen/diner but plenty would and you might have the most wonderful walk in shower room, but I'd still want a bath. xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good luck with the bungalow viewing! I haven't been to that park but Broomhill Swimming Pool, back when it was open, was a lovely treat in the summertime. It's a shame it is in such bad shape now. We spent many a hot summer's day there. Mum would pack up food and it was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  25. At least you're getting the viewings so you must have done something right with your little bungalow for folk to want to come after seeing the estate agent photos. The right people will appear, hopefully to fit in with your wanting to move in the new year.

    Glad Col is doing so much better, and doesn't your lovely granddaughter look beautiful with her eyes open. xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. would the lady you are buying off want to exchange with you for your bungalow. A few people I know have done this successfully. If she is looing to downsize and move to town it would solve all your problems

    ReplyDelete