Monday, 4 July 2016

Fiddling the Accounts

 I keep track of spending in my diary - which is just an A4  writing pad. Each month I write down all the things we spend on. Car, Household, Electric/Gas, Clothes, Phone,  Food, Water etc etc. There is a new column for Grandchildren and then there is the column called Sue. In my column  are books and craft stuff (that's all I buy for myself on the whole) and  it's very obvious I'm spending too much every month, especially as Col's column is empty! So I've decided  that books and other bits bought from charity shops should be listed under CHARITY ......................There, that looks much better!


 Here's a surprise ..............I went to a car boot sale and didn't buy any books!
It was the first-Saturday-in-the-month boot sale at Melton near Woodbridge and I headed out of town just after 7am.
Mostly just the same old car-boots there but I found  some Grandchildren stuff; Baby bath and big pack of first size Pampers nappies  total £4 and wooden breakdown crane truck for £1. Other than that just a mini clay chimenea which could be used for planting  also for £1.
(As you can see I still haven't got around to hiring a skip to get rid of the awful crazy paving patio! Mainly because it then means buying in some topsoil to fill the huge low bit that will be left and also not having anything dry to stand on when hanging out the washing)

On Friday I biked to a recently opened charity shop that I've just found out about. It's run by Emmaus, the charity that helps homeless people get back into accommodation and employment. I knew it was somewhere in the road on the other side of the railway line from us which gave me a choice of biking all  down hill to the path under the railway or up, then down and then level to the road bridge over the railway. I choose down hill, only to find the shop was right at the top of the road so that I had to walk all the way up...... it would have been much easier to have gone the other way! Oh well, it's all good exercise.
 I found these cross stitch bits for £2 (which has been entered in the Charity column of course!)













And with regard to cross stitch, this part-started picture of a standard fuchsia
has been staring at me every time I've looked through my box-file of charts and kits to decide what to do next. I don't remember when I started it but I do know it must have been several years ago and I know why I stopped - it was too difficult - too many shades of pinks and greens. Now I'm better at sorting out how to work this type of chart I'm determined to finish it.
On the left  is the chart I'm following. On the right is one of the mini kits from the charity shop - but it has no chart so if any cross-stitchers out there have this very old copy of Cross Stitch Collection Magazine with the Gardeners Notebook kit I'd love a photocopy of the chart ......please, or any other chart with a flower that will look OK using the flower pot button.




Looking out of the kitchen window at dusk on Saturday I spotted a hedgehog snuffling about under the bird table. Lovely to see one in town as we rarely spotted them out in the country. I rushed for the camera but then couldn't remember how to get the flash to work, clicked quickly so all I got was this and then he/she snuffled off under the shrubs.
 .












Another couple of library books finished, both historical crime fiction. First Robin Blake - Skin and Bones, these are set in Preston in the mid 18th century. The 4th in a series - featuring a lawyer and coroner and his doctor friend.
Secondly the latest Anne Perry - Revenge in a Cold River.  An extremely prolific author as there are 32 books in her Inspector Pitt series and 22 in her Thomas Monk series, plus she also write Christmas Novellas featuring both these characters or other people from the series and other novels too. Both Pitt and Monk books are set in Victorian London and quite compelling. If you've not come across these then it's best to start from the beginning although the earlier books were written in the 1980's and 90's so not so easy to find.

Well Done to our future daughter-in-law who did the 5K Cancer Research Race  for Life. She had planned to do it at the organised event in Bury St Edmunds a couple of weeks back, which was cancelled due to flooding. She couldn't do the new arranged date so opted to do it on her own and has raised around £400  for Cancer Research - Brilliant.

Many Thanks for comments on the last post and welcome to The 3 Year Challenge- a new blog. This lady is in France but luckily her blog is in English. 

Back in a day or 3
Sue


36 comments:

  1. Sue - your energy and your enthusiasm in the light of all your worries and difficulties at present is most inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just keep getting on with things - it's the only way

      Delete
  2. Well done to your daughter in law.
    Good bargains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and out DIL had a sore calf muscle too, and still she made it to 5k

      Delete
  3. You'll get lots of lovely bargains for the grandchildren from car boot sales, I am always amazed at the huge amount of baby things and toys that are on offer. Fol seem to buy their babies so much and of course babies don't really need a lot.

    Naughty you to label your charity shop purchases 'charity' in your notebook ... but clever too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Col said where the heck are you going to put a baby bath! but as we only have a shower here we'll need it for when Jacob comes to stay, There are so many toys at car boots - no need to buy new ever

      Delete
  4. Ooh that is crafty, but an excellent idea. I do miss the car boot sales, the only ones that I know of are Carmarthen which is too far to go on the spur of the moment and Swansea which is almost all traders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No-one can say it's not a good thing to donate to charity can they? ! :-)

      Delete
  5. love your sneaky relabeling! ha ha.

    A few weeks back Bill and I were coming home in the car, I saw something and looked, it was a baby deer. I thought my eyes had gone funny so made Bill go out and look for it (!) sure enough, that's exactly what it was. Never seen one in such a built up area before. We have a lot of hedgehogs here too, they are always making the security lights go on at night. Rascals! I think they do it to get me out of bed ;o) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if it was a muntjac deer you saw, they get into towns - in fact they are everywhere. Usually on there own while other deer tend to be in groups.
      Muntjac ate our young Christmas trees at Fareacre

      Delete
    2. My son saw a muntjac in his office car park in Bristol, not far from the centre of the city!

      Delete
    3. We have had a fair few deer turning up on Belstead Rd in Ipswich

      Delete
  6. I have to get my budgeting sorted out, I'm not great with money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never mind Si, You're a cricket star!!

      Delete
  7. I have stopped reading Anne Perry since learning of her own crime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know any thing about that, will have to find out

      Delete
  8. I'm jealous of your hedgehog, tell him he's welcome to move into my garden. Thomas is on slug patrol round the strawberry bed at the moment!

    I was in the Lakes at the weekend, supervising gold DofE expeditions, and saw a slow worm sunning himself on the path. My camera is broken and he looked up, lazily blinked his eyes at us and was half out of sight into the bracken before my friend could capture his portrait for her Facebook page! I was made up, never seen a snake (or legless lizard) before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were slowworms and grass snakes at Fareacre, we had them living in the compost bins one year

      Delete
  9. I like the idea of the charity column.
    Cross stitch is lovely!
    Congrats to your future DIL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We're very similar with our spending Sue. Mine is also mainly on books and craft stuff. Love your new 'charity' column so it doesn't look as though you're spending too much. You'd have made a good accountant haha.

    Your charity and boot sale finds are really good especially the cross stitch bundle.

    Well done to your furture d-i-l. Great achievement. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look for craft bits at car boot sales but rarely find anything nowadays so it was good to find these in the charity shop

      Delete
  11. Well done to your DIL2B! That is a great achievement. I love your way of fiddling the books, very appropriate I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes things look better, although there is only me seeing it anyway!

      Delete
  12. I think they call that "creative" accounting, Sue!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your budget spendings on paper is good. But you did spend money so it's not really charity since you spent your money! Right? Ha! I tried to be better at keep track beginning of the year. But slacker me hasn't done too good. Still I keep shopping lists and try hard not to buy extra unless I find items on a good sale. Aw the cross stitch fun!! Happy week!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. On paper a charity donation looks better!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the idea of sticking all those bits in the charity column! Looks a lot better lol. You found some nice cross stitch goodies. I have a load of magazines but I don't think I have the one with that pattern.

    I don't usually have a lot of luck at Charity shops for cross stitch though I found a bunch of magazines at one in Felixstowe last year. Mum and sister laughed at me because I had a lot of trouble deciding which ones I could fit in my suitcase!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't clear out all the kits from the Emmaus charity shop in Dales road - have left some for you!

      Delete
  16. Oh I love this post, from the new "Charity" column to the crime fiction (I really like those books but discovered historical ones only a short while back) to your brave daughter-in-law who did her run just by herself. What a girl ! And I'll add a cartful of "bisous" for putting me on your reading list. Thank you so much ! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, glad you enjoyed it

      Delete
  17. Hi Sue, another one from Ipswich. Always worth keeping an eye on our local Freecycle for topsoil usually collection only plus you might, just might be able to get rid of the crazy paving too on there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Veronica - do you have a blog?
      Re the crazy paving and topsoil, I'm going to wait until Col is well again and well enough to help me sort it out

      Delete
    2. Hi Sue, no blog, it has only been in the last few days I have found out how to leave comments on blogs... surprised myself when I managed it. Have followed you for awhile and have sat and wished I could make contact especially when you moved to Ipswich. I live just off Belstead Rd and often cycle to Aldi on Meredith Rd. I craft, use to teach/demo hand crafted cards at a craft shop in Felixstowe. Didn't know about the new charity shop.

      Delete
  18. I like the idea of your new column, good work there!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete