Saturday, 2 April 2016

Into April...........random notes from my diary

















I                                               




 I wish I could remember who mentioned this book on their blog, but thanks to whoever it was I've just hugely enjoyed this first novel by a new Author.

Here's what it says on Amazon
"England,1976.
Mrs Creasy is missing and The Avenue is alive with whispers. As the summer shimmers endlessly on, ten-year-olds Grace and Tilly decide to take matters into their own hands.
And as the cul-de-sac starts giving up its secrets, the amateur detectives will find much more than they imagined…"
Behind each door on The Avenue is another secret, most have been hidden for  nearly10 years and some secrets are not pleasant.
A really good read, a kind of mystery but also about being ten years old during that long hot summer. 

We've been here for nearly two weeks and everything was jogging along until Cols latest blood tests which showed very low platelets then he started to run a temperature so he is back in hospital for a few days until they can sort things out.  So I'm getting plenty of practice driving through the traffic of Ipswich. After all the years of country living without endless roundabouts,traffic lights and busy junctions, I'm now getting moaned at for being in the wrong gear/lane and Col says I'm ruining the gear box on the Tucson which was already a bit dodgy. He had been thinking about changing to a Ford Kuga when the house sale money is sorted until his brother told him about a friend who had to use You-Tube to find the oil filter which then took three hours to change due to being hidden away and under other bits.............. so maybe not a Kuga after all.

We rang a local company to get a cat flap fitted in the bottom half of the double glazed kitchen door. We are going to have the glass replaced by a plastic coated metal panel instead of glass, it won't make any difference to light in the kitchen and it's a bit cheaper. When the man came to measure up Col recognised him as someone who had stayed on the campsite, the son-in-law of one of the regulars  - Isn't it funny what a small world we live in!

I've cycled to Asda a couple of times, it's easy- peasy as there is a cycle path up beside the main road and a proper push button crossing because it's part of one of the national cycle routes. I measured it on Mapometer website and it's just a fraction over a mile, so not really energetic but every little helps. I'm now planning my route to the nearest car boot sale!

We've filled in the forms to register at the local doctors which is literally just round the corner and walking back on Thursday I got soaked by a hailstorm which was preceded by three big claps of thunder and followed by rain - strange weather. The forecast is for a bit warmer for the weekend, I hope they are right because there is some tidying to do in the garden so I bought new secateurs as all our gardening stuff is still on the trailer in a barn at a friends. Col is not sure when we can fetch it - depends on how he feels next weekend and who we can get to help. Thanks to our son calling in on Thursday afternoon we've now cleared a bit of space in the garage for workshop stuff and the gardening bits we need. I still think Col is being over optimistic about what we have room for.

Which reminds me of the most annoying thing here........... The Fridge, it's bad enough having an under counter fridge after my old tall one - but it's ridiculously tiny and stupidly it has an ice box - which isn't needed because we have a small freezer in the kitchen and the chest freezer in the garage, 6 steps from the back door. We bought the fridge with the house but it's driving me nuts, so I think I shall fork out for a larder fridge, without icebox so an extra shelf to use.

That's it for now, thanks for comments on the last post
Back soon
Sue


31 comments:

  1. Nice to know you are settling into to your new life, sorry to here Col is back in hospital I really hope he turns a corner soon and you can both have some great times together :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope Col feels and gets a bit better soon. Well done you for all that driving, I hate driving in a town let alone a city!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness Ipswich isn't really too busy and the road to hospital is all round the outside of town on what was a sort of by-pass until they built the A14 and orwell bridge

      Delete
  3. Sorry Col is back in hospital . We had the same problem with the fridge when we down sized, took me a year to bite the bullet and buy a larder fridge but so glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry Col is back in hospital. I empathise over the fridge, those little under the counter ones are hopeless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Make sure you lock your bike up well, our Asda here is a notorious black spot for bike theft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm chaining it to a handy tree! as they only have those little V shaped bike stand things and my bike is too top heavy for that. not sure anyone would want my old bike with tatty panniers and metal baskets back and front.

      Delete
  6. Hope Col's set back is short and he is soon home again Sue. You sound to be settling in and beginning to iron our the annoyances.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hope Col is feeling better soon, we could not manage with a small fridge now, our huge larder fridge is always full.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope the platelet levels return to normal (and the temp). What a worry for you both. Your driving skills will soon be finely-honed I am sure. I know what you mean though - we tootle along under no pressure on the lanes round here - driving on the motorways again comes as a shock, although we can deal with town traffic. Enjoy the car boot sales when they start.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good news that there is a cycle path for you to use to Asda and yes continue to lock up your bike. They will just about steal anything these days.

    Hope Colin is sorted quickly at the hospital and home very soon at full strength.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sue, sorry I have not been able to read for a while as we are away in Europe again. I am so glad you have finally managed to move, and you seem to be settling in ok. Sending very best wishes for Col, and hope that his treatment will not go on for too long before you see significant improvement. And huge congratulations for grandchildren - I know how exciting this is as we have had one new grandson at the start of this year and the other 3 of ours are expecting too - so 4 new grandchildren in one year, plus a niece and best friends daughter so it will be an expensive year for us. On a personal note, your ability to remain positive through all this change and upheaval is astounding. You are an inspiration! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello, good to hear from you. Are you back working on UK sites for the summer? If you get to Fareacre you could let me know how the new owners are doing:-)
      I thought 2 grandchildren in one year was good but 4 is amazing - they planned that well!

      Delete
    2. Yes, back in Canterbury for a second year, have also applied for a winter contract so not sure when we will get away again - hence the quick break now. x

      Delete
  11. There is a lovely poem by Merle Collins about sheep and goats in her anthology Rotten Pomerack. Your title reminded me how much I enjoyed the poems so I am off to find my copy! good luck with all those hospital visits you are being incredibly brave.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope Col's hospital stay is short and he is back home soon.
    Love the book title and it sounds like a fun read. I must see if I can find it.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope Col feels better soon. I've had a week of backwards and forwards to hospital in Colchester, my brother is finally turned a corner but still on oxygen. You've moved at just the right time to sort your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit stumped at the moment because all the gardening stuff is on a trailer in a barn 25 miles away!

      Delete
  14. Hoping Col is soon feeling better and able to use some of his workshop equipment. Silly fridge, I feel your pain! x

    ReplyDelete
  15. hope Col isn't in for too long and can be back home again quickly.
    Yes, I should think the Town traffic is quite a bit different. I hate how busy the roads are.
    Sadly, the B&Q near Asda is set to close in a couple of months, I'm gutted. I often walk up there when I need to get vouchers for Father's Day or birthdays. Can't really walk to the other one over near Waitrose!
    A good weekend to you, looks like a pretty day out there today. yesterday was odd too wasn't it? chilly but sunny and springlike until mid afternoon, when the sun was turned off and it got really cold and started raining! Ah, but predictable weather would be boring! ;o)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds as though you are starting to settle in well. I am so with you on the fridge, I cannot do with a tiny fridge! Hope you can get it sorted soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry to have been AWOL! (Been unwell and drained of energy.)
    So sorry to hear Col has been back in hospital again. Life is never simple, is it? Hope he's soon home again and back on his feet.
    Your book reminds me of Spies by Michael Frayn - about boys of a similar age (9 or10) living in a close in the London suburbs during WW2. I've read it a few times - a delight. Must look out for Goats and Sheep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, sorry to hear you've been poorly. Hope you are recovering quickly now. Now off to library website to order the Micheal Frayn book! thank you for the tip.

      Delete
  18. My mum bought me the goats and sheep book for my birthday (a common ploy when she wants to read a book herself, as we swap books all the time!) I enjoyed it. A child narrator is quite an interesting choice, and it adds to the twists. I felt sorry for the man at the top of the road!

    Sorry to hear about Colin, his body will be susceptible to all sorts after all his chemo. Hopefully they can sort him out quickly. Camping at Fareacre without Colin's evening wandering will be a strange experience this summer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Colins evening wandering" sounds very spooky and a bit worrying!
      Back to school this week?

      Delete
  19. Hi Sue

    That books looks interesting. I might try it, especially as I was 10 in 1976! Hope Col is bearing up. Look after yourself as well.

    Donna
    (regular reader, irregular commenter!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. all comments always welcome :-)
      Now I feel old as I was 21!!

      Delete
  20. I, too, hope Col is doing better soon. Good that you're getting the house sorted and finding your way around town. It won't be long before everything feels ordinary and comfortable. Are small (under counter) refrigerators common in the UK? Do you have room for a full sized one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish! but the whole bungalow including the kitchen is small and the only way to fit in a big tall fridge would be to get rid of a wall cupboard but that would be a problem too. so I will have to put up with bending in half to get things in and out!!

      Delete
  21. Sorry to hear Colin is in hospital again. How annoying about the fridge!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  22. I hope Col is feeling better now and will soon be home. Sounds like you have plenty on your plate at the moment, perhaps the garden can wait! Xxx

    ReplyDelete