Tuesday, 26 April 2016

New Favourite Pasta sauce

When we decided to move into town we knew we wouldn't be able to grow much food this year but I thought I could take advantage of the cheap veg offers in Aldi and Asda. The first week I shopped at Asda they had a selection of things for 39p(I think) but next time that offer had disappeared.There's been no sign of their wonky veg boxes either. Aldi's weekly offer is 6 different things for 59p each but if you look at their other veg some is less than 59p anyway. No help at all. But across the road from Aldi is a old fashioned greengrocers and they have a board out the front with special offers at 29p each!
Which brings me onto my title, because with the board announcing Aubergines for 29p I had to make this


Aubergine and Tomato Pasta Sauce.( 3 Large portions or 4 normal)
1 Aubergine chunked
1 Onion - chopped
1 tin of plum tomatoes
Good squirt of Tomato Puree
2 teaspoons brown sugar
A little hot water
Black Pepper

Soften the onion in a little sunflower/rapeseed/olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the aubergine and cook and stir for a few minutes. Add the tinned tomatoes, squirt the tomato puree into the empty can add third/half a tin of hot water, swish around and add to the pan. Sprinkle the brown sugar and mix in, cover and turn down the heat and leave to cook for about 15 - 20 minutes stirring regularly. Add the ground black pepper and serve with pasta (preferably tagliatelle).You could grate a little strong cheese over the top for extra calories and have some crusty bread or my Tomato and Herb rolls to mop up the juices.

Col's taste-buds and appetite haven't been too bad after this last chemo session ( So Far!) and he really enjoyed this. What he is suffering with is a really awful cold and cough and I've had it too but not quite so bad and everywhere you go around about there seems to be people coughing. He was up at hospital today for the regular blood test and review and most of the results were OK but the doctor doubled his antibiotic dose which he has to take for a week starting 5 days after chemo. He is going back for another blood test on Thursday and a blood infusion on Friday.
We both need to get well by the weekend as our eldest and husband are in Suffolk - their first visit since before Christmas. I have a nice bag of pressies for "bump" and after seeing the jumble sale treasures on my post the other day she said she thought "bump" was going to enjoy visiting Nana Sue and Grandad Colin.
I also want it to warm up a bit as our son had the idea that we might all go and visit the family beach hut and it's been so B***** cold yesterday and today that the idea doesn't seem very appealing!


Big Suffolk welcome to 2 new followers - Jennifer and Judy, hope you enjoy reading.
Thanks to everyone for comments last time

Back Soon
Sue


21 comments:

  1. Just been catching up on your last few posts Sue- what a fantastic haul from the jumble, and what a view from the beach hut. Wishing you many happy times there with all the family, and pleased to hear that Col is doing okay after the latest chemo, albeit with a cough and cold. Take care. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you are where you are shop at the local butcher, baker, candlestickmaker. We do more of that now and for the 2 of us eat well, cheaply and its locally grown. Our butcher has his own beasts well looked after and no factory farming. So pleased things appear to be lovely. Good luck Coll. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sauce sounds so wonderful.
    Be well soon.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have no local greengrocers. Thee us a butcher but he is expensive. So unless I trek out of town I have to shop at the supermarket or local market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a localish butcher- haven't been there yet to see what they are like

      Delete
  5. How exciting to have 3 generations (if you include bump) going to visit the beach hut. I do hope the weather is lovely for you all.
    Your instruction to swirl water round the tomato tin made me smile. You are giving a measure in this case but I bet that, like me, you always swill out the tin and add it to your cooking.
    So glad Colin is coping reasonably with the latest round of chemo. Maybe you will both begin to feel at home and have time to enjoy your hut. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know we're all dying to see a picture of the hut, right? Pleeeeeez and thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear of Col's good appetite and the moment. I think you meant to type blinkin cold didn't you?! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's even colder than Blinkin' cold!

      Delete
  8. Sorry to hear of Col's cold, hope he will soon feel much better (and from his treatment, of course.) The recipe is lovely, a tomato sauce to which aubergine has been added, I shall try this but aubergines were absent from the supermarket when we went last week (and the week before.)
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great fund your new fruit and veg shop is. My lot don't like aubergines but I wonder if they'd notice if I popped it into my pasta sauce, thanks for the idea.
    Hope you have a wonderful weekend with your family.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a local greengrocer who I use exclusively for everything I can't or don't want to grow on the allotment. I wonder if your aubergines are English? It wouldn't surprise me if they were as most things can be grown under glass with artificial heat and light all year round now. I have a repertoire of 10 min pasta dishes using veg fresh from the allotment. Last night it was purple sprouting broccoli with garlic, chilli and a tin of anchovies and tonight will be new one from Anna Jones' book "A Modern Way to Cook" using baby chard and rocket, lemon and cherry tomatoes (these last bought from our local farm shop in Sussex and grown just down the road). I borrowed Anna's book from the library yesterday and was amused and delighted to see that her modern way to cook is the way I've been cooking for the last 40 years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could happily eat pasta with loads of different sauces but Col is a bit fussier

      Delete
  11. You really do have to look past the supermarket offers to see that a lot of the produce is actually cheaper bought other ways. Thank goodness for local greengrocers ... truly a dying species.

    And your pasta sauce, unlike some 'others', can be eaten as often as you want ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. crikey, is that greengrocers still going? I can remember going there when I was teeny. I don't venture over to those shops very often, but I really should.

    The butchers by the bridge on NR is good, if that's the one you're talking about. Shop with confidence there.

    glad Col is coping well, and hope that cough and cold clears off soon. Suspect this weather isn't helping much.
    I was in fake fur this morning. Fake fur! It's almost May!!!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't ventured down Norwich Road on foot yet so will have to check out whats there sometime soon. The butchers I noticed was in the shops on Burke Road.

      Delete
  13. The sauce sounds great! You are right so cold isn't it, I hope it warms up so you can go to the beach hut, I am sure that Bump will love the pressies!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Playing catch up today ~ I hadn't realised I've been awol for so long!
    I made a similar sauce the other day, but 'dry' roasted in the oven, not wet with tomatoes. I'll give your recipe a go this weekend as I love aubergine.
    the closest I get to those supermarkets is adverts on the telly, and I think you'll find they change weekly with each one trying to undercut the others. Our good fortune!
    Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. That sauce sounds good and my type of food. I hope you are both feeling better, but the weather is not much better! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. That greengrocer has some pretty nice buys there sometimes. Now I know you must be somewhere near my Mum as that's her local shops lol.

    ReplyDelete