Friday, 29 April 2016

Forgot the start date

Just realised I've forgotten to mark the 3rd anniversary of this blog.
I started it early April 2013 as a diary of our self-sufficient life on a 5 acre Suffolk Smallholding.
We had lived there since 1992 and for most of that time Col worked as a bridge inspector/supervisor for the County Council and I stayed home, milked goats, watched sheep, fed chickens, collected eggs, looked after the campsite and grew and sold fruit and veg. We had already cut down on animals before 2013 because of bureaucracy and lack of time. The most goats we had at one time after spring kidding was 8 and one year after lambing we had 14 sheep!  In March 2012 we decided we could earn enough from the smallholding and campsite and Col left full time work. We added a shower to the campsite and increased our growing-to-sell so that with a few days a month council work  and a day a week odd-jobbing we lived quite comfortably for a year and a half.
Then came Cols heart problems which made us cut down the workload and decide a move might be a good idea, followed by the Non Hodgkins diagnosis - when to live nearer the hospital became essential.

So here we are in town and the blog is completely different to when I started, luckily blog friends and relatives are still reading - thank you everyone.

People keep asking us if we miss the smallholding - well yes..............and no. We've not really had a chance to miss it properly yet and I certainly don't miss all the wood hauling, ash clearing, kindling chopping and fire-lighting/tending that I had to do, mostly by myself, all through this last winter. And I definitely don't miss the DUST! if you've not heated your house entirely with wood and coal you really don't know the meaning of the word!
I quite like the anonymity of town and the proximity of shops and all the other things we need. It's good to be able to walk everywhere and I can go out walking early morning without getting strange looks - which is what happened when I walked on the roads near the smallholding at 7am!

Anyway, enough looking backwards.

My sister and brother-in-law are finally moving back into Suffolk next Tuesday - May 3rd . They've had even more hassles in their chain than we did (their first date was mid March!) and if they hadn't exchanged by this weekend the owners of the house they are buying were going to take it off the market, thank heavens it all got sorted in time. I had completely forgotten that my sister could knit, she's not done much for a while, but she brought over a couple of little jumpers she'd made for our eldest's "bump" and has already started something for our youngest's. Then I remembered amongst my craft stuff I had a tube of buttons for babies. I bought them years ago from a car boot sale thinking they would do for card making but  the Post Office introduced the 'letter thickness thing', so they have been in a drawer ever since. Some are shaped like flowers, teddies or ducks and others have little pictures on, now my sister is all set for cardigan making and I'll  find some wool for her from charity shops too -should keep her busy - after they've unpacked and planted up their garden!

I'm just awaiting delivery of a wardrobe and hoping they'll be able to get it in the house and Col is up at hospital having a couple of bags of rejuvenating blood. We should be out for a meal with all our children and their OH's on Sunday.

Back after the weekend
Hope you all have a good one.
Sue





 


39 comments:

  1. Happy Blog Birthday.
    I have enjoyed stopping by and reading about your life in Suffolk.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Blog Birthday, were ever we live there are pros and cons, look forward to reading about your new life in the new bungalow, hope you are both well x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SMALL is the best description of the bungalow, having wardrobes will help a bit - will be able to put stuff on top as well as inside

      Delete
  3. Happy blog anniversary! Heres to many more years of your lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mum had a bag of iron yesterday, went well. Have a great weekend, town or country, there's always something to see

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you said that about wood hauling and dust etc. I keep telling everyone, no I don't want to chop wood, even though it might be free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved having free heat right up until Col was ill and we had to worry about having enough wood cut.Two hours cutting every week wasn't a problem when we were younger but now........

      Delete
  6. Not all the changes have been bad, hoping all continues well for him.
    We used to heat with wood / coal, my husband would not want to back to all that work either, but I cringe when I open the winter electricity heating bills.
    I wish we'd have at least kept the old cook stove.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've no idea what our bills for gas and electric will be here - a bit worrying!

      Delete
  7. Happy blog birthday! I have enjoyed getting to know you through your blog. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on the blog birthday. I'm glad you're enjoying your new home, sounds as though it was the right move for you both. I thought of your eggplant pasta sauce when I was at the greengrocer's this morning so I'm about to make a large pot full with added carrots & mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy blog birthday! I started following you when I too had a small holding (although mine was in NZ) and we have now moved to a town house back in the UK. I miss 'the good life' sometimes but it is nice to be so close to everything you need, plus not have the responsibility of so many furry friends relying on us for everything. At least we can both look back and say we have experienced that way of life xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The responsibility of so many animals got quite a tie. I enjoyed milking goats for nearly 20 years and then it gets to be hard work and the first thought always had to be -"what about the goats"

      Delete
  10. Happy Blog birthday :-)

    Time goes so quickly doesn't it. I can see the perks to your new lifestyle, but I think I would miss the satisfaction of doing what we do ..... I think ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had it forced upon us really so have to look on the bright side! I have no idea what it will be like having no fresh fruit from the garden this year - sad probably

      Delete
  11. Congratulations on reaching the 3 yr. milestone of your blog. Of course, it makes me realize how fast time flies! I've been reading and enjoying your blog for most of that time, and look forward to seeing how all of it blends into the life you and Col will have now. We always bring a part of our past experiences (and skills) with us, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, I'll keep writing

      Delete
  12. Happy Bloggy Birthday! We should have cake or something! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cream or chocolate - difficult decision!

      Delete
  13. Happy Blog Birthday!
    Coal puts out a fair amount of grimy dust too! Wonder if wood is worse, sounds so!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Blog Birthday. Rachel is right. There should be cake. there should always be cake! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll provide the cake, you bring the tea!!

      Delete
  15. I have to say, there are times when I think town living has its benefits (especially when you are low on milk or something!) I could live in Hay-on-Wye easily!!

    Happy 3rd Blog Birthday. Hoping that Col's latest treatments help him feel better, esp. the blood transfusions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't dare live in Hay, I'd never get any work done and we would be broke. I know my way round the bookshops far too well!

      Delete
  16. Happy Anniversary. I don't get as much time for blog reading these days but I always try to catch up on yours as I love reading it xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you, hope your family are all OK

      Delete
  17. Happy Blogging Birthday! Dust...how I know dust so well! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy 3rd blog anniversary! I have been a reader for a long while and enjoy reading very much.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Blogaversary Sue!! I thought that you had been blogging for far longer than you have as you are so good at it and write so well! Here's to many more great years of blogging!

    ReplyDelete