Friday, 25 March 2016

Wednesday to Friday in the County Town

Here I am again, still unpacking and trying to sort things out.

 On the whole we are quite pleased with choosing this small bungalow (for now!), there is just about room to live, the road is quiet and 15 minutes from hospital is better than 40 minutes especially as Col will have to go for blood tests 3 times a week from now on, and I was very excited to be able to pop to B & Q to buy a new telephone and a bin for the kitchen- took me 10 minutes and half that was queueing at the traffic lights. A new telephone would have needed a much longer journey just a week ago - I'm so easily excited! I can't wait to get out on my bike but I've gone down with a bit of a cold and a gyppy tummy - I put it down to the different water in town!!

Col came home from hospital after the 4th round of chemo on Thursday afternoon. I had to wait in for the cooker delivery so he got his old boss to give him a lift. It was strange saying "welcome to your new home" but lovely to have him back again. Once again he is feeling very tired and with no appetite and another bunch of tablets, injections and eye-drops. This type of cancer is very nasty but its incredible at how many medications have been developed to help things along.
 I had told him how much stuff we couldn't fit in but he was still surprised at how the bungalow had shrunk since we looked at it and his idea of unloading all his workshop stuff into the garage may have to be delayed.

Early this morning I popped to Asda....... something I've never been able to say before, I'll be able to bike there for top-up shopping when I'm feeling better. With the lack of space in the kitchen, top-up shopping will be all I'll be able to do which is the opposite of the last 30+ years when it's been mainly a monthly big shop. We do have a wooden cupboard with shelves which I plan to have in the garage for tins and bottles as soon as I've found space for the things it's currently full of.

Before we moved I mentioned unpacking a craft box to find a peel-off label for 'Sister' to stick on her card. Today is her birthday and guess where the card is............Still Here - forgot to give it to her Tuesday and  forgot to post twice! DUH! So  Happy 57th little Sister!

Our living room window faces south-west so the sun was streaming in on Friday for a while and Col filled the bird feeder, swivelled his recliner round and waited to see what- if anything - would arrive. Two collared doves sat on the garage roof and looked and a blue tit popped in to check it out. Then he saw a wren on the ground and 3 blackbirds having an argument in the shrubs, so there is bird life in Ipswich! Here is our garden from the living room window, small compared to our previous 5 acres! but larger than a lot of gardens on the newer estates.
We brought the birdbath and birdtable with us! Thanks to Brother in law and his van
 The awful crazy paving/weedy bit is definitely going and probably be replaced by a conservatory, which will add space and value without too much expense and hassle.
I took Polly out for a bit of a sniff around, can't let her out on her own yet and we need a way to put a cat flap in a double glazed door - I suppose it must be possible for a glazier to do.
This very strange concrete thingy was left in the garden and the lady who lived here must have been very houseproud as there are doormats - on the right - at the garage and shed doors!

There were so many lovely comments on the last post - Thank you everyone, Col was amazed to find that more than 50 people had wished us well.
 Lynda said "didn't we have 2 cats?" and yes we did, but one disappeared for 6 months after we got them 2 years ago and although she did re-appear and eventually came into the house she fought with Polly and was never really friendly or settled. We decided that the best thing was for her to return to Cats Protection where they could re-home her somewhere without other cats because she was almost bound to disappear again after this house move. Had we have known then what we know now we wouldn't have taken on a cat - hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Welcome to more new followers - Jules, Jane, Curvywitch and Christina. Hope you enjoy reading about our new life in the Suffolk county town.

Now I must get back to sorting out our possessions - fitting a gallon into a pint pot springs to mind!

Back in a day or two
Sue

44 comments:

  1. Garden looks lovely, a real sun trap? Hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just catching up and find you all moved in! Gosh!
    It certainly sounds like your day-to-day life will be made easier in many ways by this move.
    All the best to you and Col, and Polly of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that little conical yurt of a nest box, suitable for any glamping birds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Certainly better for travel now and the rden will be lovely in the coming months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a juggle to get things in, we gave loads to charity and love living with less.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you are in will be so much easier with the hospital and shops nearby, love your garden, x Best Wishes to Col, xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear your move went well and that you are settling in, it will be easier for you until your husband is recovered. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your garden is lovely - much bigger than average. It looks like a sun trap too. We've never moved house in 25 years so you can imagine the clutter we've got!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks lovely, hope you're settling in OK xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. So lovely that you're in and settling in. It will be such a boon being closer to the hospital and shops. The garden looks lovely and infinitely improveable, if there is such a word!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The garden looks great. It sounds like you've settled already. X

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope this goes through, my last few posts here and elsewhere are hit and miss somehow. Anyway, pleased to see you are settling in and hope you feel better soon and get out for that bike ride. Must have been very strange for Col to come 'home' to a new home!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looking forward to seeing the fruition of all your plans for the garden as I know you're bound to have some. Have fun exploring on your bike. Hope you feel better soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looking forward to seeing the fruition of all your plans for the garden as I know you're bound to have some. Have fun exploring on your bike. Hope you feel better soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. You will manage to make it home Sue and that back garden is a nice size so that Col will be able to manage it as a bit of a hobby when he is feeling a little stronger. Keep up the good work both of you - I am so full of admiration for how you are meeting this head on. You will win through in the end, I know it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We used to have a 4 hour round trip, and a fortnightly food shop.

    It still amazes us that we can just go to Woolies (even walk if we need exercise). I am having to teach myself to food shop differently. No longer a siege mentality.

    Happy birding to Col.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We are going through the same thing with regards to packing 100 pounds of stuff into a 5 pound bag. Everyday I complain there is too much stuff. And I purge and donate every year and realize I will have to get much tougher. We too will be "topping off" as there is just not enough room. May end up with a small pantry area in the basement. It's damp, though, so limited to what we can store down there. It's extra difficult, as my dad still has much of his stuff here yet to pack up. I unpack a few boxes and them I pack a few boxes for him. We are all realizing we have too much and need to downsize a lot. I look forward to your finished results. I know you will make your new home very comfy and cozy and will be happy with the results once settled. Best wishes for both of you. Feel better. Ranee (USA) Mn

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm just in catch up mode, your garden looks lovely and private. Were you not worried about letting Poppy out - I'd be scared shed quickly run off!
    I wish you and Col happy times in your new home xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on the move to your new home! Now I'm trying to work out which Asda you're near lol. You're either close to my Mum or my sisters. Mum lives near the one in Whitehouse and my sisters live near the one in Stoke Park.

    I hope your husband does well. The hospital there is great - my Mum went there for her chemo last year.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's a nice yard you have! It must be nice for your husband to be "home" now (although he isn't feeling great). I hope you feel better soon and can get out on your bike. It is nice to be closer to amenities, isn't it. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'd love to see more pictures. I find it so interesting how other people live. Tell Col it will get better. I'm 11 years out from diagnosis and on a new to me drug Velcade. It has put me back in remission. So tell him keep strong
    It's tough in the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so pleased all is going well. Yes you can out a cst flap in a dg door. Is the door in two halves. Top and bottom glass. If so it may be cheaper to by the plastic panel for the bottom panel and fit cat flap. My daughter has a fog flap on her glass door but it was expensive to out in a dg unit.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a pain (literally!) to be unwell just at this time. Hope you soon feel better Sue, also Col of course.
    I did write a comment on Tuesday wishing you well, but suspect I forgot to click "Publish"!
    Yes, I've had cat flaps put in double glazed doors in three houses now. As someone else said, not too expensive if the door has separate panels and not one big one.
    I am writing the April newsletter, and will need to know where to send yours. Otherwise it's the old address and hope it gets redirected!
    Look after yourselves, get well soon, and enjoy getting organised!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a lovely post, thank you for taking the time to write and to show us the pictures. Very best wishes to you and Col every happiness in your new home. I love the garden, very manageable.
    I think you are both doing brilliantly. Sorry that you are under the weather, not surprising with everything you have had to deal with.
    A day at a time and you will soon see a difference with your unpacking.
    Take care of yourselves, try to get some good rest.
    Love Pam in TX.xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. It may not seem so at this moment but how wonderful you can get all these chores down within a short time. Leaving you with some time for yourself and not sitting in a car in traffic.
    So happy all is going well.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  27. Its great tom see you have finally moved , Hope col gets much better soon and you of course , That garden is pretty and will be even better once you start to sort out what you are doing with it , I cant wait to see the before and after pictures xxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. It is good to see you have moved and are settling in well and are already discovering the good points of your new home. I used to bulk buy food and it took me so long to get out of the habit. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Good to hear that you are settling in well at the bungalow, and that it has its benefits, being so much nearer to the shops and the hospital. Having a sitting room with good sunshine is excellent too - our house is facing East (so they could see the farm buildings I presume) so not a great deal of natural light.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love your deep yard! That's going to be so nice for you both, as will being so close to necessities. There'll be much less work and more time to enjoy whatever you wish to do! Hope you're both feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a great choice you both made with this new bungalow. It looks wonderful. This move has been hard on you, but in the long run you will profit so much by making this decision. Wishing for you both to have renewed strength.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Glad you have moved ok and are starting to settle. I like the idea of getting shot of that paving, it's not very attractive is it?!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  33. Mary in Perth Australia26 March 2016 at 14:18

    Welcome to your new home Sue and Col. Good that you could be in for Easter. Your weather looks lovely, and so does the garden. Wishing you much happiness there.

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a lovely update with photos for us to see. If you are able to add on a conservatory, which will add space and value without too much expense and hassle, you may find the bungalow is well suited for the two of you.

    Your shopping will adjust and popping to the shop will give you a chance to pick up any yellow sticker bargains if they have them in Ipswich.

    Prayers for Colin and hope he finds something to eat that he fancies and enjoys. Much happiness to the both of you.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  35. I do understand how being able to "pop" somewhere must be rather exciting! I often wonder whether I could give up the countryside (and the lovely darkness at night, no streetlights) for the convenience of being able to pop somewhere. And after pruning about 12 shrubs (still got to clear up the prunings) on sunny Friday I also wonder whether I wouldn't love a smaller garden.... I do hope you love your new life and that Col gets better soon so that he can enjoy it too.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I hope you are both happy and healthy in your new home!

    I downsized 2 years ago from a large rambling country house to a smaller house in a city. I'd say it's taken me all this time to truly love my house and the new way of living. eg being able to pop to the shops.

    'Bloom where you are planted' has been my motto. I'm sure you'll bloom too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Adding a conservatory sounds like a great idea. Nice for you both to sit in and watch the birds and read when Col's feeling poorly after his treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I wonder if I will bump into you in Asda sometime. The amount of time I spend in there, I feel it's a certainty!
    Yes, lots of bird life in Ipswich! :O)

    Good to see a blog post from you, especially as you have so much going on. xx

    ReplyDelete
  39. I enjoyed your post, your garden is lovely! I hope things go well with his treatments.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Sue, congratulations on the move and being settled in, it must have been a seriously stressful time for you. I was so happy to read your news about the two new additions to the family, I love being a grandma! You will have to get a large tent for the garden to feed them all at Christmas! Love to you and Col, I hope his treatment is going well xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi Sue - long time, no comment! I can never do it on my phone for some reason but on a laptop today so thought I would say hi. It's going to be so weird for you, such a change of lifestyle but it sounds as if it will be less stress for you both. I hope Col's treatment goes OK. The bungalow looks great. I love Ipswich actually - brilliant charity shops :)especially the St Elizabeth Hospice one near Primark.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  42. PS - my blog has moved if you want to change it on your blog roll. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  43. Convenience is, well, convenient! It's a way of life lots of people are used to, and you'll be dazzled by it for a while after living in your gorgeously secluded spot for so long. Hopefully, you'll find it peaceful and homely enough until you are ready for further adventures. All our love (from all 5 of us) to you and Colin from a toasty caravan in Sussex: it's not the same as camping with you, but it's close to my grandmother's new care home. XX

    ReplyDelete
  44. Beautiful photos. You have a lovely blog. Warm greetings from Montreal, Canada.

    ReplyDelete