Thursday, 9 February 2017

Worth a try

The fruit I missed most last summer after leaving the smallholding was raspberries (and strawberries, apples, pears, plums, gooseberries, cherries,apricots and figs but mostly raspberries!) There are no raspberries at the cottage - shame - just a couple of blackcurrant and gooseberry bushes plus one each of apple,pear and plum trees.

A couple of weeks back I bought three packs of summer fruiting raspberry canes from Poundland for £3, they didn't have any more but today I noticed Wilkinsons had packs of 3 canes for £2.50 each and they also had a Fig for £3.50,  at that price they were worth a go. If I wait until we move and then order from one of the big seed/plant companies I might have to pay 3 times that. Although we may well get more later from somewhere. The raspberries have just been popped into a pot of compost and kept just damp in the summerhouse shed.The canes will go in one of the beds at the cottage as soon as they have been weeded. The fig has been planted up properly in a medium pot and will go in the greenhouse at the cottage until we decide it's best place outdoors.
 
 I would have preferred to have 6 canes all the same rather than 2 each of 3 varieties but this will do for a start. Will need to separate the Polka from the rest as I've discovered they are proper Autumn fruiting rather than just a very late summer, so need different pruning,didn't realise that when I got them. 2 canes of Autumn raspberries are not much use really so I will need more of those.

Wilkinsons had a good range of fruit bushes, lots of different things, some unusual. I might go back for another look although we'll have to buy a bag of compost if I get anything else before we move. But as we don't really know what we'll have room for it might be getting ahead of ourselves.

I see I've lost a follower..........who were you.....why did you leave! ( I am joking here, not serious)


Back Soon
Sue

20 comments:

  1. We planted fruit bushes last year, but didn't get anything, I guess they were getting established, hopefully this year they will bear fruit. Yours were a very good buy, I wouldn't mind a fig myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fresh figs from the tree are just delicious

      Delete
  2. Only one follower? I've lost 3 this week alone! Frankly, if they don't like my blog then it's their loss, not mine in the long run and I'd rather they left!
    I have got four varieties of canes and get fruiting from about June until the end of October, which I love. Fresh picked, sun warmed fruit on my breakfast every morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had wonderful raspberry beds at the smallholding - I do miss it

      Delete
  3. Your follower loss might be Google as I've seen several people say that they have lost followers again. Can you remember last year there was the same thing.
    Looking forward to seeing your new garden-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are looking forward to seeing the garden too - it seems an age since we looked round in October!

      Delete
  4. I left a huge bed of Autumn Bliss rasps. in 2015 so looking to replace those on the allotment when cleared of brambles and couch, they really are the tastiest and rarely made it back to the kitchen, just gobble them off the cane. Do hope your move happens soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For reasons we can't fathom we grew summer raspberries for all our years at the smallholding but autumn for only the last 3 years. Hope to make room for lots of both at the cottage

      Delete
  5. Some of my raspberry canes were from Wilko's and they have grown well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love raspberries, they are my favourites after cherries. we also had a bed of autumn bliss, they cropped well for a few years and then seemed to die off.

    I have 3 fig trees from Wilkos only one has fruited in 5 years and they are all in containers to hold the roots in to make it fruit. I wonder what I am doing wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our fig was never in a pot and it was huge and fruited well. They are quite slow to get going

      Delete
  7. Love the idea of growing my own rasberries, nowhere to do it really, alas. Which reminds me never did get my cress and mustard on the go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I seem to be regularly getting new followers, but my number of followers never goes up! Don't know how that works . . .

    Well done with the fruit bush purchases. I wouldn't like to be without raspberries either. I have some autumn fruiting canes and they are prolific. I didn't, ahem, know they needed different pruning. What should I be doing please Sue?

    ReplyDelete
  9. After saying my follower numbers were down one they are now up 2!
    As to raspberries.....Summer fruiting fruit on last years growth so you cut out all the brown canes that have fruited after the harvest and tie in the new green canes that have grown during the year and should get fruit June and July in the next year.
    Proper autumn fruiting rasps fruit on new canes so you cut the whole lot to the ground in Feb and wait for new growth which will fruit September and October.

    ReplyDelete
  10. From my experience (in our coastal climate), it's actually better to plant several varieties for better fruiting on each plant. Hoping they work out well on your new property and that you'll get loads of berries in a few years!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy...raspberries warm from the bush...can't be beaten. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have only just discovered the love of raspberries too - I cannot get enough of them. Maybe they contain an element that ny body is craving. Who knows?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've only ever bought cheapies and although the first year is a little disappointing, they are brilliant now. The rhubarb I bought was little more than a leaf but we had lots of great desserts from it last year.

    ReplyDelete